Vackert vikt

The history of serviette and napkin folding

Vackert vikt

Postby Joan Sallas » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:38 pm

http://www.hallwylskamuseet.se/default. ... refid=8068

For swedish members, the 3.12.2011 was published a five pages article in the swedish newspaper 'Svenska Dagbladet' about historical napkin folding and anouncing the exhibition 'Vackert vikt' in Hallwylska Museet in Stockholm. It will be showed mainly the napkin folding art in the Renaissance and Barock (16th-18th centuries) and his technical relation with the paper folding tradition in Europe.
Joan Sallas

Re: Vackert vikt

Postby Joan Sallas » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:05 pm

The opening of the exhibition about the origin and history of napkin folding "Vackert Vikt, mästerverk av linne" in Hallylska Museet in Stockholm, Sweden, will be the 16th February at 17:00. The participants to the opening need a special invitation. If somebody want come, please contact me privately.

To the old italian and german folded napkins and folded centerpieces of the 16th to 18th century, it will be showed specially the caracteristics of the skandinavian napkin folding tradition (servettbrytning), as in swedish language called "anrättningservetter" (to be used not only on the table, but on the wood, on the beach or on the boat too), as well and new descoveries from the folding research, as the folded napkin of Napoleon III. (french imperator during 1852-1870), documented 1854.

Here more:

http://www.hallwylskamuseet.se/default. ... refid=2060

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 603&type=3

joan
sallas@gmx.net
Joan Sallas

Postby Edwin Corrie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 am

These exhibitions must be fantastic. One question, Joan: how long do the exhibits last and are they easy to transport, or do you have to make them all again for each exhibition?
Edwin Corrie

Postby Joan Sallas » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 am

Edwin Corrie wrote:how long do the exhibits last and are they easy to transport, or do you have to make them all again for each exhibition?

The exhibit in Stockholm is until 17th August, I think. Normally it's showed in museums during 4 to 6 months. I need almost 3 months before to fold it all. Sadly the conditions of packaging, storage and transport don't permise to conserve the quality of folded napkins and centerpieces (Schaugerichten). So, a big part of showed objects in every exhibition must be folded again.

I want add that it's a changing exhibition, because it shows the resultat of a research about the origin and developement of the folded napkin, and every year are discovered, analyzed and interpreted new documents that change and correct the old folding technic, the objects and the subjects of this exhibition. From all stations of this project (Dresden 2008, Salzburg 2009, Köln 2009-2010, Vienna 2010-2011 and Stockholm 2012) the exhibition was never the same. In Stockholm, for example, I included many objects which wittnes and documents about the great and unknow scandinavian napkin folding tradition I discovered last year.

joan
Joan Sallas

Return to Napkin folding