Papiro-zoo, by Giordano Lareo

Antiquarian books

Papiro-zoo, by Giordano Lareo

Postby smarcelab » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:01 pm

The oldest origami book I have is:
Papiro-zoo, Manual Práctico de Cocotología o Papirología (Figuritas de papel), by Giordano Lareo
Published on July 21st, 1941 - Talleres Gráficos de la Editorial Araujo.

"Cocotología" and "papirología" were the Spanish words used at that time to refer to paper folding.

I bought it last year in a used book kiosk in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The cover is missing, but the rest of the pages are there.

There are some things that I think might be interesting, given the publishing date of the book:

1. The prolog of the book contains some interesting comments from the author (I'm not traslating literally, just pointing out the concepts):
- The book is not only for children.
- The "cocotología" or "papirología" does not involve cutting or glueing, and models must use only one piece of paper.
- The "cototología" has a great educational value of for schools, as children can imitate the figures in the book, modify them or create new ones.
- It improves the fingers flexibility and skill, which is important to all the professionals which depend on their fingers to be successful in their jobs, such as doctors, drawing and painting artists, calligraphers, etc.
- Socially, the figures attract the attention of other people.
- Tedious waitings will seem shorter and we will not get nervous if we focus on the piece of paper that our fingers will transform into figures.

2. The instructions for the models contain a few drawings that use letters as points of reference, but a lot of text explanations.

3. There's a section called "paper preparation" that ends up with a crease pattern to fold the base for the models of that chapter. (a kite base + a bird base in the same drawing).

4. The book ends up with some drawings of models not explained in the book, but there is a form, in the first pages of book, that you could send to the author to ask for more information, clarifications of even the folded model.
Marcela Brina
www.artisbellus.com
smarcelab

Re: Papiro-zoo, by Giordano Lareo

Postby Edwin Corrie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:46 pm

Interesting, thanks for the information. I did a quick search and found a copy available for €35 ($50):

http://puertolibros.com/detalle_libro.php?libro=10634

Also on Abe Books (it seems to be the same copy):

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=3321966831
Edwin Corrie

Postby Joan Sallas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:23 am

The Padore Library-Archive and the OUSA-Library collected the 3rd edition of this book (1951):

Lareo, Giordano: "Papiro-Zoo. Manual práctico de Cocotología o Papirología (figuritas de papel). 3. Edición, corregida, augmentada y profusamente ilustrada" (Buenos Aires: El Ateneo, 1951)

The book was mentioned by Legmans "Bibliography of Paper-Folding" (1952), and it's the same edition that is offered in the old book links (but here without the nice jacket).

Sadly until end of February I'm not in Germany and I can't compare the contens of the the 3rd edition with which Marcela Brina give us from the 1st edition, but the 3rd edition looks really renewed. It will be interesting to identify the changements or new models. Dear Marcella: that's a multilingual forum, special wenn we make a mention of an original work. Can you give us the contents of the first edition in original spanish? I will make the same with the 3rd edition as soon as I can.

About the 2nd edition of this book I have any information. Perhaps in Gimenos Bibliography is something more registred.

joan
Joan Sallas

Postby Edwin Corrie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:30 pm

The book is also mentioned in Vicente Palacios' book "Fascinante Papiroflexia" (Introduction, page x), a partial view of which is available on Google Books (luckily for us it shows the whole of the introduction with historical notes):

http://books.google.fr/books?id=bCNkbNLW1p8C&pg=PR10&dq=Papiro-Zoo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7-oiT-bNBcam0QXZpOHOCg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Papiro-Zoo&f=false

But of course we all have a hard copy of this classic book already, don't we?
Edwin Corrie

Postby smarcelab » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Joan, these are the contents of the book printed in 1941:

Prólogo 7
Nota del Autor 11
Cocotología o Papirología 13
Importante 17
Ficha 19

PRIMERA PARTE
El Vaso 21
El Sofá 23
La Silla 25
La Pajarita 27
El Barquito 31
El Bonete 35

SEGUNDA PARTE
Preparación del Papel 21
La Paloma 41
El Cóndor 47
El Pingüino 53
El Elefante 57
La Girafa 63
El Loro 69
La Rana 75
El Pavo Real 81
Figuras Varias 93-109

The section "Figuras Varias" contains drawings of models that are not explained in the book. The models are not identified by name, but they seem to be the following animals (I'm guessing most of them, as they are not easily identifiable):
Fig. 58 Pavo (Turkey)
Fig. 59 Toro (Bull)
Fig. 60 Conejo (Rabbit)
Fig. 61 Ciervo? (Deer?)
Fig. 62 Oveja? Perro? (Sheep? Dog?)
Fig. 63 Rinoceronte (Rhinoceros)
Fig. 64 Ratón (Mouse)
Fig. 65 Avestruz o Ñandú (Ostrich or Rhea)
Fig. 66 Ginete a caballo? (Horse rider?)

I look forward to finding out what has been added to the 3er Edition.
Marcela Brina
www.artisbellus.com
smarcelab

Postby Joan Sallas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks Marcela for your information in original spanish. As soon as possible I will compare it with the 3th edition („especialmente corregida y aumentada“, 280 pages, 20 cm., Pictures: Giordano Lareo, Title page: Federico Rivas, Foreword: Eduardo Blanco-Amor)

Thanks Edwin for the mention about Lareos book in Palacios "Fascinante Papiroflexia". I think that only the first edition of Lareos book (1941) is mentioned by Legmans "Bibliography of Paper-Folding" (1952) too.

As well as I remember, the foreword of Peter Engel in "Fascinating Origami. 101 models by Adolfo Cerceda" (NY:Dover, 1996, 1997) was writed for the english edition and don't appairs in any of the fourth editions in which Palacios published before and later his book "Fascinante Papiroflexia. Legado del mago Adolfo Cerceda "Carlos Corda"" (Barcelona: Salvatella, 1984, 1989, 1997, 2003).

joan
Joan Sallas

Postby Joan Sallas » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:33 pm

Giordano Lareo 3rd edition 1951.jpg
Giordano Lareo: "Papier-Zoo", 1951, 3rd edition
Giordano Lareo 3rd edition 1951.jpg (42.8 KiB) Viewed 10603 times

hi Marcela,

here you have the contents and the title page (with the nice jacket designed by Federico Ribas) of the 3rd edition of Giordano Lareo: "Papiro-Zoo. Manual práctico de Cocotología o Papirología (figuritas de papel)" (Buenos Aires: Librería "El Ateneo" editorial, 1951, 3. edición, corregida, augmentada y profusamente ilustrada, 280 pages), illustrated by the author self.

In the 3rd edition is printed the same foreword that writed Eduardo Blanco-Amor (galician writer and photograph *Ourense, 1897 – + Vigo, 1979) for the 1st edition. The introduction "Las pajaritas de papel" follow the foreword is writed for Lareo self. In the 1st edition you writed a diferent (but no longer) foreword. It will be very interesting to compare both.

Lareos strict recomendation „no cut and no glue“ is probably one of the oldest wittnes of this tendence in paperfolding. In this recomendation I see a latent criticism to another great paperfolder in Argentina, Vicente Solórzano y Sagredo, which used frequently cuts and called them „cortes fléxicos“ (something like „bending cuts“), similar to the cuts that used Isao Honda for his modells in the 1950s. It will be interesting to collect and put in chronological order all the opinions about the nice paranoia „no cut, no glue“ that appair in the folding books before Yoshizawa, to understand how is originated this thinking.

Marcela commented that in the pages 93-109 ("Figuras Varias") of the 1st edition included some pictures of modells, without folding instructions or title. Marcela listed which animals she suposed. I think it will be possible that the add models in the 3rd edition correspond, perhaps partially, to this animals. For Lareo, the meaning of "papirología" or the Unamuno term "cocotología", correspond only to folded animals, which profil ans lines should be better to fold ans represent than objects.

About the 2nd edition, I want comment a detail that you can observe too on the red jacket of the 3rd edition: the number "3" of "3rd edition" is hand writed on a printed "2" of the "2nd edition". Thanks Juan Gimeno we can see in his comment the title page of the 1st and the complet jacket of the 2nd edition. Observing the diferent printed letters on the jacket of the 2nd and 3th edition, we can assume that the hand corrected jacket of the 3rd edition was really a cause of a print mistake, and not „recycled“ jackets of the 2nd edition.

The 1st edition (1941) is present in the follow libraries:
Biblioteca Nacional de Buenos Aires (Argentina)
New York Public Library (USA)
Library of the Universidad autónoma de Ciudad Juárez (Mexico)
British Library (London)
privat library of Marcela Brina (Argentina)

Three samples of the very rare 2nd edition (1944) are in:
privat collection in Zaragoza (Spain)
Biblioteca Popular de Rivadavia (Argentina).

The 3rd edition (1951), most frequent to find and buy than the others, is present in:
Padore Library-Archive (Germany)
OUSA-Library
Dibam Biblioteca Nacional (Santiago, Chile)
Library of the Peabody Essex Museum (Salem, USA)
New York Public Library (USA)
Fundación Juan March (Madrid, Spain)
privat collection in Madrid (Spain).

Legman mentioned all the three editions in his "Bibliography of Paper-Folding" (1952), and commented: „Good intermediate manual of the Unamuno figures. Ends with 9 white-on-black drawings of figures whose method of folding is not shown. 2 ed. 1944 (?); 3 ed., Buenos Aires: El Ateneo, 1951, 280 p., fr. & pls. 12Mo, with secret of unexplained foldings in 1st edition. Shown to be use of diamond- and kite-shaped paper.“

joan

Here under I writed with "normal letter" the models of the 1st edition, with "black letters" ampliation of models in the 2nd edition (that don't appair in the 1st edition), and with "underlined black letters" the ampliation of models in the 3rd edition (that don't appair in the 1st and 2nd edition).

The page numbers are from the 3rd edition. I hope is clear enough

Prólogo 7
Pajaritas de papel 11

PRIMERA PARTE
El Vaso 19
El Sofá 21
La Silla 23
La Pajarita 25
El Barquito 29
El Bonete 33

SEGUNDA PARTE – FIGURAS CONFECCIONADAS A BASE DE UN CUADRADO
Preparación del Papel 37
La Paloma 43
El Cóndor 53
El Pingüino 61
El Elefante 69
La Girafa 83
El Loro 95
La Rana 75
La Grulla 113
El Mono 125
El Tigre 137
El Rinoceronte
El Ñandú 167

TERCERA PARTE – PAPEL RECTANGULAR
Pavo Real 181

CUARTA PARTE – FIGURAS CONFECCIONADAS A BASE DEL ROMBOIDE
Preparación del Papel
El perro „Salsicha“ 203
El Ratón 215
El Pelícano 223

QUINTA PARTE – FIGURAS CONFECCIONADAS A BASE DE UN ROMBO
Preparación del Papel 231
El Caballo 235

SEXTA PARTE – FIGURAS CONFECCIONADAS A BASE DE UN PENTÁGONO IRREGULAR
El Faisán

SÉPTIMA PARTE
Mapa Mundi 265
Europa 267
Asia 269
África 271
América 273
Oceania 277
Joan Sallas

Postby JGimeno » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 am

In my Gimeno's Bibliography:

LAREO, Giordano. "Papiro-Zoo: Manual Práctico de cocotología o papirología. (Figuritas de papel.)". Buenos Aires (Argentina): Lareo, 1941. 112 págs. sq. 16vo. 14 x 20 cm.
Legman dice que es un buen manual intermediario de las figuras de Unamuno. Finaliza con 9 dibujos de figuras blancas sobre fondos negros en lo que no se muestra el método con que deben plegarse.
Citado por Solórzano ("Tratado de Papiroflexia Superior", pág. 226; "Papiroflexia Zoomórfica", pág. 425); Legman (“Bibliography of Paper-folding”).
- 2ª ed. (Corregida, aumentada y profusamente ilustrada). Buenos Aires: El Ateneo, 1944.
Es citado por Legman (“Bibliography of Paper-folding”); Cerdá (Correo a “Pajarita@eListas.net”, del 26 de febrero de 2001)
[Col. privada, Zaragoza.]
- 3ª ed., Buenos Aires: El Ateneo, 1951, 280 págs., portada y láms. 12vo. 14 x 20 cm.
Con el secreto de los plegados no explicados en la 1ª ed. en donde se indica que debe utilizarse un papel en forma de rombo o cometa.
Citado por Legman (“Bibliography of Paper-folding”; también en la bibliografía del libro de Harbin, "Paper Magic, the Art of Paper Folding", págs. 99-101); Randlett ("The Art of Origami", pág. 188).
[Col. privada, Madrid.]
Attachments
Lareo 1st edition 1941.jpg
Lareo 1st edition 1941.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
Giordano Lareo 2nd edition 1944.jpg
Giordano Lareo 2nd edition 1944.jpg (63.02 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
Giordano Lareo 2nd edition 1944 wings.jpg
Giordano Lareo 2nd edition 1944 wings.jpg (54.76 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
cover without jacket 2nd edition 1944.jpg
cover without jacket 2nd edition 1944.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
Frontispice & interior titlepage, 2nd edition 1944.jpg
Frontispice & interior titlepage, 2nd edition 1944.jpg (74.81 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
Impressum 2nd edition 1944.jpg
Impressum 2nd edition 1944.jpg (56.89 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
Index 2nd edition 1944 page 205.jpg
Index 2nd edition 1944 page 205.jpg (66.55 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
Index 2nd edition 1944 page 206.jpg
Index 2nd edition 1944 page 206.jpg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
JGimeno

Postby Joan Sallas » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:56 am

Thanks a lot Juan Gimeno, to show us the pictures of the rare 1st edition and the extremly rare 2nd edition of Giordano Lareos "Papiro-Zoo". Now we can understand how Lareo worked in his book ten years long through the three editions.

But about Giordano Lareo self, we know really nothing. Somebody knows something about his person, his life, and the contacts with other folders of his time? We know only that he was an italian who lives in Argentina, and introduced the folding art in this country. Here the mentions in the web of Origami Argentina and in an Article of David Lister:

http://origamiarg.galeon.com/cvitae1496338.html

"No podemos hablar con certeza de la influencia japonesa en el plegado de papel en Argentina, ya que los educadores argentinos en el año 1864, enseñaban en las escuelas algunos plegados a sus alumnos, podemos si entonces mencionar la influencia española, luego la italiana, introducida por Giordano Lareo, no descartamos que la inmigración japonesa a Argentina a partir de 1945, y dentro de su propia sociedad introdujera el plegado de papel u "origami", dentro de su propio círculo social, pero no en conjunto con plegadores argentinos."

http://www.britishorigami.info/academic ... ldeuro.php

"Miguel Unamuno, the great Spanish poet and philosopher became enthusiastic about paperfolding and at first made a study of the Pajarita. He wrote a satire about it in 1902. The introduction of the flapping bird into Europe had, by definition, brought with it the knowledge of the bird base and Unamuno experimented with the bird base, especially with that form of it known as "the sideways turn". He was, in fact the first to devise new models of animals and birds using the bird base, anticipating the work of Akira Yoshizaa of Spain by sojme thirty years. His experiments were later continued in Argentina by Dr,.Vicente Solorzano, Ligia Montoya and the Italian, Giordano Lareo."
Joan Sallas

Return to Books