Any ELFA members here?

Letter and envelope folding

Any ELFA members here?

Postby Nick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:13 am

I'm surprised this area is empty - are there no envelope folders with anything to say?

Here's a slightly complicated design of mine that produces a kind of 3D shape.

http://www.nickrobinson.info/origami/di ... da4env.htm
Nick
Site Admin

Re: Any ELFA members here?

Postby Edwin Corrie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 am

This seems to be a good place to post a link to an ELFA website:

http://www.ghh.com/elf/index.html

I only found this recently and don't know the history of it, but it looks like it was created on behalf of John Cunliffe and with his blessing.

Thanks for posting the 3D envelope, Nick (pun intended). Nice result and pleasing sequence, and although you'd think that a simpler method should be possible I can imagine that it's not as easy as it seems to find one.
Edwin Corrie

Postby Nick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Edwin Corrie wrote:you'd think that a simpler method should be possible I can imagine that it's not as easy as it seems to find one.

there may well be - I created this many years ago and often find when I "revisit" old designs, I've matured sufficently to discover a better solution. The shape is obviously easy, but "sealing" it isn't. Or certainly wasn't!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Michel G » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:58 pm

Hello

I confess, without shame, I'm an ELFA's member since 1991.

I would like to express, I'm not very enthousiast with the following mentionned above website
http://www.ghh.com/elf/index.html
Because, the owner take diagrams from (early) ELFA's booklet with agreement of John, but he forgot to add in the diagram the name of the author of the model mentioned by John in the notes of the respectives booklets.
So I have made the attached following file to make it more clear.

I will post in following post more information.
If somebody have special question I will be happy to answer.
Attachments
GGH web site.xls
Notes to read for GHH website
(27.5 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Michel G

Postby Nick » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Michel G wrote:Because, the owner take diagrams from (early) ELFA's booklet with agreement of John, but he forgot to add in the diagram the name of the author of the model mentioned by John in the notes of the respectives booklets.

John has always been "vague" in his use of credits. His early BOS booklets would say "adapted" when they were virtually the same as the originals. So, I think the author of this site has tried to be fair (he mentions my name!). I'm sure if you tell him what credits to add, he will add them.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Edwin Corrie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Michel G wrote:I confess, without shame, I'm an ELFA's member since 1991.

There's no shame attached to ELFA membership, Michel! I was one of the original members, and only dropped out because of other pressures (and the fact that I didn't have much original material to contribute).

Looking more closely it does seem that a lot of credits are missing from the site. Maybe the person responsible never managed to complete the job - there are some credits in the "Fold index" and "Fold index with thumbnails", but the site hasn't been updated since 2009. Nick is right that John often said "adapted from" - I think it was because he usually changed the folding sequence so that it would fit on one page, and also added his own variations. He would mention the original source in the introduction to the booklet, but without that you don't always know from the diagrams themselves. Michel, your list of credits is excellent and very complete, and it would be good to send it to the site owner to see if he can add them (if he is still interested).

I found the site by chance and hadn't looked properly, but I posted the link just to get this thread moving a bit. Checking again I find that our friend Elsje van der Ploeg has an ELFA site too, which looks rather good:

http://ploegevd.home.xs4all.nl/
Edwin Corrie

Postby Michel G » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:53 pm

[quote="Edwin Corrie]. Michel, your list of credits is excellent and very complete, and it would be good to send it to the site owner to see if he can add them (if he is still interested).[/quote]

I have send him the following mail yesterday :
"Hi Gerard

The diagram made by John are complete with their notes wich mention the origine and the author.

You do this in your fold index with thumbnails.

But, I've seen some type error that you must corrected
Fern letterfold is by Luis Fernandez and change also Paul Jackson and Gay Merril Gross
K letterfold is by Thoki Yenn
M letterfold (1 : square root of 2) (Michel Grand)
Bar envelope (1 : square root of 2)
Butterfly envelope is by Fumiaki Kawahata
Valentine envelope Yoshihide and Sumiko Momotani
Hawk envelope is by Hiroshi Kumasaka

And to be more clear and more clean (respectuous) with the creators of this envelopes and letterfolds, as you do for the "Daisy letterfold" adding "fold by Nick Robinson, I suggest to do the same.
To help you I've made a database as attached file.
For more complementary information don't hesitate to mail me.

ELFAmicably
Michel Grand (France)

ps As you seen I'm French, so I hope you understand me"

I hope a positive reaction
Michel G

Postby Michel G » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:59 pm

More information about ELFA

We have a blog with a lot of photos
http://elfa-exchange.blogspot.com/
but unfortunaly is not updated from last August

We have also a Yahoo group with a big diagram files