Origami in South America

The history of paperfolding

Origami in South America

Postby JGimeno » Fri May 04, 2012 10:25 am

For the history of the Origami of the past century an immense documentary lagoon referring to the knowledge in Latin America exists. Something is known although indirect way, of the origami movement in Argentina (Ligia Montoya, Adolfo Cerceda (Carlos Corda), Vicente Solórzano and Giordano Lareo) and in Peru (Narciso E. Sanchez).
David Lister did in 1996 a “History of Paperfolding in South America” del that I only have the reference given by John Smith. It would be possible to accede to this document? We could extend it with new data?
Last edited by JGimeno on Sat May 05, 2012 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JGimeno

Re: Origami in South America

Postby Nick » Fri May 04, 2012 2:57 pm

JGimeno wrote:David Lister did in 1996 a “History of Paperfolding in South America” del that I only have the reference given by John Smith. It would be possible to accede to this document?

David is now on this forum, so I hope he can reply. If he sends me the file I can add it to his archive on the BOS site. http://www.britishorigami.info/academic ... /index.php
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Edwin Corrie » Fri May 04, 2012 9:59 pm

There's a Wikipedia page for Ligia Montoya, and according to the list of "External Links" at the bottom of the page David's article on origami in South America was "the source of most of the information for this page".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligia_Montoya

The External Links include a couple of other sources too. (Does anyone know who created this Wikipedia page?)

On the subject of Ligia Montoya, I recall that a Spanish folder (Teodosio de la Fuente?) compiled a collection of her work about 20 years ago, though I don't think it was ever published.
Edwin Corrie

Postby JGimeno » Sat May 05, 2012 6:21 am

Yes, he was vice president of AEP, Teodosio de la Fuente, wrote a booklet in A-4 with a biography of Ligia Montoya and the diagrams were documented in Spain. But, in fact, has not been published. I have a copy of that work.
JGimeno

Postby jtbm71 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Hello.
Like in many arts and crafts, specially some which have a connotation of children related, like folding, many of the models have been traditional. Here in Colombia we have not a compilation of historic folding, most of them have been mentioned in books about popular traditions. Here is a translation from Spanish of one of those books:

Traditional Colombian Paper folding.

This is the translation from a book named "Testamento del Paisa" by Agustin Jaramillo-Londoño "Testamento" means will, legacy and "Paisa" is the name of the people from the Nothwest Andinean region of Colombia (Medellin, and the old Caldas region). His book is a compilation of oral, folklore and
traditional custom of that people. (It could be extended to other Colombian regions).

The fist edition was in 1961 and the research took many years and the things shown by Jaramillo in the book are traditions from the late XIX century to the 1950s decade.

The edition I have: Jaramillo Londoño, Agustín,
Testamento del Paisa, Susaeta Ediciones, Medellín,
Oct, 1988, Eighth Edition.
ISBN 958-95125-0-X

The author says:

"All this book was written listening the country side people, villagers, real and simple people that learned those stuff from their parents. Nothing has been copied from other printed publications"

In the chapter "The Daylife Comedy or the Social Folklore", in the part "Children's Games", "Childlike Toys and Games", he mentions some paper toys.

Arrow (or darts): There are made of paper, forming a cone, then squashed and folded by the long length. It is shooted with the middle fingers, reaching distances until 20 meters (65 ft) and more. Many students have been punished because they threw the darts in the classroom.

Airplanes: There are several types in the paper airplanes, from the flying wing until the longest ones. Some are made from one piece, others from two.

Paper helicopters: A cone in those wider side some fins are cutted. when you let it fall, it goes down rolling slowly.

Little goblets, made of silver paper (some kind of foil paper). The paper comes from candy bars or cigarrette packs. Some munched paper is put inside the little goblet and then, it is thrown to the ceiling where it is glued.

Several objects.- Other paper toys are very common: Little birds, little purses (or wallets), little boats, little balloons, ..., windmills. One is made from a square paper, folding its corners to the center point, then turn it over and repeat the last step. Then, you put inside your index fingers and thumbs through the resulted pockets, takind apart the index fingers from the thumbs and reciting, when you open and close the model: "This is the night - this is the day: - this is the mouth - of lady
Maria".

There are other studies in a book "Antología del Juguete - Talleres de la infancia" (Anthology of the toy- Childhood workshops) by Euclides Jaramillo-Arango, 1968, where talks about the darts, some paper models (not images) as single and double boat, a box, a tie, the cootie catcher (as the game to read the fortune), some fliying models as baloons, arrows and pinwheels.

More recently in the 1960s, some children books and newspaper published (like Manuel Moncada in the early 1970s and in the early 1990s, Dairo Alarcon) how to fold those models and the most important hit in paperfolding was the publication of the one I consider the first origami book in Colombia in 1978 compiled by David Consuegra. I have a note about this (in Spanish) in http://avistamientos.blogspot.com/

Now on, related to folding we have a more tradition using plants (palm leaves), but this is another topic. The same thing if we want to cover other countries in Latin America. Just as a marginal comment in Mexico, Fernando Villarruel-Hemmer, published a book "Curso Práctico de Origami", 2000, ISBN:9682458099, where in one chapter there are some Mexican traditional models.

Good luck,

Jose Tomas Buitrago
jtbm71

Return to History