Any indexers for the translation of Joan's book?

The history of serviette and napkin folding

Any indexers for the translation of Joan's book?

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Is there anyone out there who "does" indexing? It's going to be a long job otherwise. It's not going to be far from the existing German one..
Nick
Site Admin

Re: Any indexers for the translation of Joan's book?

Postby Oritsuru » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:19 am

hello, thanks for approving me ;-)

I wonder what you mean precisely with "indexing". And why isn't it simply a translation of the existing German Index. I understand we are talking about Joan's Gefaltete Schönheit.
I need a few details before I say: "me". :-)

Claire
Oritsuru

Postby Nick » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Oritsuru wrote:hello, thanks for approving me ;-)

I wonder what you mean precisely with "indexing". And why isn't it simply a translation of the existing German Index. I understand we are talking about Joan's Gefaltete Schönheit.

Yes, we are. The problem is, in relaying the text, some index references may point to the wrong page. SO I guess first it eneds translating, then we check each one. I think this is Edwin's plan now.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Oritsuru » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:13 pm

I understand. If you need help, I'm in.
Oritsuru

Postby Edwin Corrie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi Claire (and Nick),

The English index can't be done until the whole of the translation is in place and the layout is finalised. At that point we will know which page numbers to put in the index. The text of the German index can be translated, but as Nick rightly says the page numbers will probably be different in some case (a reference to Giegher (for example) on page 34 of the German version might be on page 35 in the English). I know there are automatic indexing programs - you give it a list of words and it automatically finds all instances of those words in the text.

I've almost finished my final (?) check of the translation, so when Nick gets this and does the layout we can start to look at the index.

Edwin
Edwin Corrie

Postby Oritsuru » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:39 am

Hello again,

I thought I had sent a PM, but apparently it did not get through.
I was enquiring about the format of the final text to be indexed : .doc, .pdf,....
If there is anything I can do in the meantime...

Claire, always one for an adventure :-)
Oritsuru

Postby Edwin Corrie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Claire,

I've produced a Word document (.doc) but Nick is transferring it into another format that I'm not familiar with. Because the index depends on the final layout it will have to be done from there, so I don't think there is much you can do now.

How were you planning to do the index? Do you have some sort of automatic indexing program? I have no experience in indexing, but I can imagine that it would be very difficult and time consuming doing it manually from the German index.

Edwin
Edwin Corrie

Postby Oritsuru » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:59 pm

No, I don't have any program... yet
I'm gathering information, eager to learn. That's why I asked about the format of the final document.
I offered my help as I'm prepared to give it the time it needs whether manually or with the help of some software (provided it doesn't come in May ;-))

Claire
Oritsuru

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Oritsuru wrote:No, I don't have any program... yet
I'm gathering information, eager to learn. That's why I asked about the format of the final document.
I offered my help as I'm prepared to give it the time it needs whether manually or with the help of some software (provided it doesn't come in May ;-))

Claire

Kind of you - will be in touch if your skills are needed.
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Napkin folding